Monday, March 11, 2013

Is My Passport Due For A Renewal?

As basic as this question may seem, I can't seem to find a straightforward, certain answer, so maybe you guys could help.
I got my (regular international) passport back in 2004 and at the time I was 8 years-old. I have heard from a few sources that if you were issued a passport so many years ago under the age of 16 then it will be due for a renewal. (I mean, really. I don't even look a bit like I did at age 8.)
Also, I have not travelled out of the country since then and that old passport actually got destroyed.

So if I went to get a new one, would I have to go through a special process of getting a replacement or would I be due for a renewal anyway? There is a chance I will be in Europe for a year and during that time my old passport would have expired, anyway.

Help would be appreciated, will rate well for good answers. Thanks.

Best Answer

If you have a US passport, your must get a new passport if you want to go overseas because those issued to children under 16 years old are only valid for 5 years.

In the US people 16& 17 years old are still considered minors. I8 years old can apply an adult passport for the first time. All the details are here:

travel.state.gov/passport/get/min...
travel.state.gov/passport/get/fir...

Source(s):

..

No comments:

Post a Comment